This Google+ SEO & Authorship presentation was given by AJ Kohn at Mozcon 2012.
Google's secret weapon is in mobile with Android holding 52% of the smart phone market. This is a critical thing to understand for any marketing campaign. There is huge opportunity in mobile and Google.
Google+ Isn't Just for Geeks
Hugo Boss has over 1 million people circled their brand on Google+. There are many other brand examples who have obtained a huge following of non-geek followers on Google+.
Why is this critical?
Gucci ranks #1 for stirrup bags on non-personalized SERPs. BUT, Gucci ranks #1, #3, #4, and #6 on personalized SERPs with universal results. Google+ is helping to influence this because the photo is coming from Facebook as a result of being connected through Google+.
Here are some examples of gains from implementing Google+ into their SEO campaign.
- 42.6% increase in organic traffic for clients actively using Google+, Kevin Gibbons, SEOptimise/Quaturo
- Engagement on Facebook was only 4% in relation the engagement on Google+, Time Moore Cruish IQ
Google+ Profile Tips
- Connect your social profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, YouTube, etc.)
- Images pull in directly from Facebook
- Home page only for brands
- Words matter - use keywords and theming for your users
Google+ Migration Tips
- Move Facebook (Twitter, Quora, etc.) friends to Google+
- Exclusive content on Google+ and talk about it on Facebook and Twitter
- Perform a Hangout On-Air
- Get a YouTube video out of it
- Demand it: "You should circle me on Google+ now"
Google+ Sharing Tips
- Tame your ego
- Share value
- Sometimes share content outside your industry
- Be a good citizen
- Go native
- Microblog on Google+
Google+ Formatting Tips
- Create a title tag
- Bold it
- Use the Google+ Formatting Cheat Sheet
- Use keywords
- Example: textured suede bags (Burberry owns the top 2 spots)
Google+ Engagement Tips
- Saved searches
- Search on your industry terms
- View all and circle those people
- Follow their followers
- View all and circle those people
- Create an evangelists circle
- Anybody who comments or shares your stuff should go into this list
- View ripples
- Find sneezers and circle them
- Drop in any URL to see ripples
- Flag people down
- Mention them
- Red number notifier
- Just do it
+1 Button Tips
- The value of the +1 button is that you get other people to do the work for you
- It makes it viral easier
- Optimize your social snippets
- Nice image
Google+ Social Signals
- How many +1 should I get for a post?
- Who cares?
- +1 disappeared from SERPs in favor of the Share button
- Put your time into interactions & engagement on Google+
- Google's goal: highlight authors and rank them better
- Rel=author turns the SERPs distribution upside down
- Google+ is an identify platform
- Rel=author setup - http://bit.ly/setuprelauthor
- Validate with rich snippets testing tool - http://bit.ly/authorbookmarklet
- Make sure your author profile has a face in your picture
- Check your author stats in labs under Webmaster Tools
- Google's Agent Rank Patent
- What is discussed
- Who commented
- Author rank is about fusing the web of people with the web of documents and creating a more savvy view of Internet influence
- AJ doesn't believe that author rank is here yet
- If you have authority on many areas, should you have one or more accounts?
- If you have a brand page, do you use your brand instead of a face?
- Use your logo
- Rel=publisher because brands don't get authorship
- How should we handle many authors producing content?
- Use authorship for each author
- Google+ widget is slowing my page speed, what should I do?
- Use the upgraded async code
- Join the Google+ Developers Group and complain to them
Circle SEO.com on Google+ and countdown our final days in our office. What? Yeah, we're moving office on Monday.