Many companies are looking for ways to promote their business online.SEO is where it starts, but it’s by producing great content that most new customers find their way to a website. There are so many different strategies that rely on good content, which may include everything from creating blog posts, ebooks, and studies for your own company website to guest posting on other sites and participating in social discussions. These tactics all help boost visits to your website and spread the word about your business.
One of the biggest problems that businesses start coming across, though, is the amount of time it is taking to create new content. While everything is fresh at first, you may have plenty of things to talk about. Unfortunately, soon enough it becomes harder to think of new topics or things that will interest your audience. Eventually it starts so seem like everything that can be said, has been said.
There are a few tricks you can use to make content creation easier, and keep generating useful, valuable content in a more sustainable fashion.
Find Your Best Content
The first thing you should do is go through your archives and find your most popular posts. Consider these pieces some of your most valuable assets because you can repurpose them to create more value for your customers and attract even more traffic. There are two main criteria that this content should have:
- Timeless Information – The topic covered should have information that will always be relevant, or at least serve as a strong foundation in a developing industry.
- High Quality – The information needs to have a high standard of quality. Unique images, strong writing, and a relevant message all contribute to the usefulness of the post and its ability to continue bringing traffic.
Studying the analytics and going through your archives will help you find the posts that best meet these needs. And, now that you have a good baseline, you have a launching pad for more content.
Create a List
Using your popular posts and other successful content pieces, create a list of possible titles and ideas that have to potential to be expanded upon. If you feel like there is a lot more to be said on one subject, create more titles and ideas on that particular topic. Place these at the top of the list since they will provide the most fertile ground for new ideas to grow.
Any time you need to create a new blog post, refer to your list for a quick idea. Mix up your topics or try doing a series with up to three parts to keep your readers interested.
As you write, keep a few things in mind to help your posts easier to read:
- Engage your readers – Start a conversation with readers participate and interact in the comments. This way your blog becomes a really good reference point.
- Keep your posts concise – Stick to the point and keep things simple. If you have more to say, try splitting them up and get an entire series out of it.
- Show the facts – Using solid data to validate what you say will make your point, but it will also make it easier to return to the information in the future.
The point of your list is to help decrease the amount of time you spend on each post. If you know what works and what doesn’t, it will be much easier to set your content strategy and produce relevant content. Try not to over think things. The writing should come fairly easily.
There are different ways to discuss each subject on your list, but if you start to feel like you have gone over them from every possible direction, creating content becomes more difficult and requires more time. One of the best tactics in these cases is to start repurposing the things you’ve already written. Simply take the list of best content you created earlier and find different ways to show it to a new audience.
1. Change the appearance. Posts that have a lot of interesting statistics, valuable quotes, or great pieces of advice are ideal for changing the information into a method that is more easily shared on social media sites. Some examples could include:
- Creating a slide show or PowerPoint.
- Using online tools like Presi or Piktochart
- Building an infographic
Other ways you can consider changing your information’s presentation is by developing it into a more detailed form, like an ebook, podcast, webinar, or video series.
2. Construct an instructographic. Pinterest and other social sites where users thrive on doing things themselves love this type of specialized infographic. This is a step-by-step tutorial in pictures that instructs on accomplishing a task that needs to be broken down into specifics. This can only be done with certain topics but is a great option for repurposing content into a different format.
3. Refresh and republish old posts. Linking to past posts is great, but sometimes older posts have information that has become out-dated. If new information has been found that changes something you quoted or published, this is a great time to update the post. After you have modified it, you can republish this post with a note about what you changed and generate more traffic to it.
Another way to publish old posts is to do it on someone else’s site. Consider guest posting with a new version of an existing post. Guest posting has to be done with care and attention, though. This isn’t something you can just throw out there anymore. Still, since you’re attaching it to content that has already proven itself successful, it may make it easier to get a valuable placement.
Stick to your Plan
Once you have gone through the steps of creating lists of your most popular posts and possible future blogs, use them. Stay on top of updating these lists as you continue to develop your content and ideas so that you will have great tools to fall back on. This will help to alleviate a lot of the stress and pressure that comes with creating new content.