SEO.com Employees Drop Fat Percentage by 218 Percent

Three months ago, 30 of us SEO geeks measured our body fat, then put together individual diet and fitness plans. The person who would lose the highest percentage of their body fat percentage by June 1 would win an iPad, or something of equal value.

The competition was fierce in the first month. People came in the office each morning bragging about running three miles, biking 10 miles, lifting weights and eating only tofu. Some malicious contestants planted booby-traps of cookies, brownies, donuts and chocolate cake around the office to repress would-be fitness gurus.

By the second month, the bragging subsided. By the third month, half of the competitors dropped out. In the end, only 14 returned to the Bod Pod to have their body composition analyzed. Of the 14 stalwarts, two of them actually gained fat percentage — one of them intentionally. So, out of dozen who kept up with their fitness plan, they lost 140.046 pounds of fat, which equaled a 218.22% loss of the total fat percentage.

Overall Winners:

1st Place, and the winner of the iPad: Michael Hasson. He lost 34.09% of his beginning percentage of body fat. Went from 31% to 20%
2nd Place: Dan Bischoff. Lost 30% of his beginning percentage of body fat. Went from 22% to 15%.
3rd place: Albert Mitchell. Lost 28% of his beginning percentage of body fat. Went from 18.6% to 13.4%

Woman Winner:

Tiana Smith. Lost 9.88% of her beginning percentage of body fat.

Total Fat Loss Winners:

1st Place: Michael Hasson. He lost 26 lbs of fat.
2nd Place: Andy Eliason. He dropped 23 lbs.
3rd Place: Rick Hardman. He shed 17 lbs.

Most Ripped (Total Muscle Gain Winners):

1st Place: Darren Bradley, gained 12.4 pounds of muscle.
2nd Place: Dan Bischoff, gained 7 lbs.
3rd Place: Albert Mitchell, put on 4 lbs.

Total Weight Loss Winners:

1st Place: Michael Hasson, dropped 29.4 total pounds.
2nd Place: Andrew Eliason: 21 lbs.
3rd Place: Dan Patterson: 18.512 lbs.

Extreme Last Place Loser. The Twinkie Award:

David Malmborg. He gained 35.714 % of fat from his beginning fat percentage. Went from 9.8% to 13.3% total body fat. He gained more than 6 pounds of fat and lost 2 pounds of muscle. And he recieved a box of Zingers for all his hard work.

Below is everyone in order of their rankings:

Michael Hasson 1st Place: Lost 34.09 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Dan Bischoff: 2nd place: Lost 29.9539 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Albert Mitchell: 3rd place: Lost 27.957 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Andy Eliason: 4th Place: Lost 22.6744 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Dan Patterson: 5th place: Lost 22.314% of his beginning % of body fat.

Scott Smoot: 6th Place: Lost 18.774% of his beginning % of body fat.

Darren Bradley: 7th Place: Lost 18.0645% of his beginning% of body fat.

Joe Bergevin: 8th Place: Lost 13.988% of his beginning % of body fat

Rick Hardman: 9th place: Lost 10.1695 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Tiana Smith: 10th Place, 1st for women: Lost 9.8765 % of her beginning % of body fat

Robyn Storms: 11th Place: Lost 9.009 % of her beginning % of body fat

TJ Welsh: 12th Place: Lost 1.35 % of his beginning % of body fat.

Nathan Blair: 13th Place: Gained 0.2989 % of his beginning % of body fat. Went from 8.9% to 9.7%.

David Malmborg: Dead Last Place: Gained 35.714 % of fat from his beginning %. Went from 9.8% to 13.3%

Get Internet Marketing Insight For Your Company - SEO.com

7 Comments

  1. Dan Bischoff says

    @Hello: Good question. That number is compared to the total combined beginning fat percentage (warning, the next sentences will include the word “percentage” more than you’ll want to read).

    The contest was mostly about losing the highest percentage of the total body fat percentage. Mike lost more than 34% of his total body fat percentage. Albert lost 28%. If Mike and Albert fused together somehow and were one person, that would be a total loss of 62%.

    We just added up those up all the percentages to find the cumulative percentage loss of the original fat percentage — as if everyone was one, merged, mutated monster.

    If that’s a faulty system, blame me. I struggled through my stats and quantitative research courses. :)

Leave a Reply