Did you know that 90% of the information transmitted to the brain is visual and that this information is transmitted 60,000 times faster than text? It’s a pretty strong statement, and one that has a lot more significance than you might think.
In this digital age, people are obsessed with moving faster. They flit from one thing to another in the blink of an eye. Attention spans are getting shorter and advertising is getting flashier. What can you do to make an impact in potential clients’ minds if they are hardly paying attention to the product and marketing that’s already out there?
One thing is for certain: it is essential to make the best impression you can make in the shortest amount of time possible. People don’t have the time or the desire to read through long blocks of text anymore. They want instant gratification, and through visual content such as images, videos, and infographics, you can generate some great results.
Social Media Social media is at the forefront of using visual content. Companies can use their social media accounts to post quick pictures where customers are spending most of their time. Sites such as Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and Pinterest are all avenues that you might want to check out to kickstart your visual content marketing, if you haven’t already. While there may be a lot of flitting around, statistics have shown that social media use has increased and will only keep growing in the coming years. This bodes well for the use of visual content to market your company’s product. These studies also tell us some important facts about visuals within social media applications.
- Photos typically receive twice the amount of likes that text posts receive.
- On Facebook, videos get shared 12 times more than text posts and links combined.
- On average, there are around 100 million users on YouTube that are actively liking, sharing, and creating videos every week.
- In 2012, Pinterest had the largest growth year-to-year over any other social network.
These statistics paint a picture of the direction of visual content and how it can help you increase business and reach more potential customers. How to Make Images Work for You There are tons of different types of visual content that you can use to further your marketing strategy, but using the right one at the right time is crucial for success. You have pictures, videos, infographics, comics, and even memes at your disposal. Any of these mediums have the potential to be effective in their own ways, and the way you use them is important.
- Tell a Story: People love stories. Our earliest recorded stories come from the 27th century B.C., and it can be surmised that people were telling stories to each other before that. There’s a reason that movies and novels are so successful. If there’s a good story to be told, we want to hear it.
Telling a story is a very effective way to reach out to new customers and enhance your brand. From your company’s history to life-changing experiences with your services, there are literally thousands of stories you can tell. A good picture will make an impression, but a good story will leave a memory. Give potential clients the chance to have a good, lasting memory through the stories your images tell.
- Establish Your Brand: But try to do it without pushing your logo. A logo is a common thing. Everyone has one. And while a logo is important, it can be overlooked. Through visual content, you can create an experience that pushes your brand for you. This is especially true if you are posting from your social network accounts. Customers know it’s coming from you. It’s your job to use the opportunity to show everyone what they don’t know about you and your product.
- Find a Balance: It is important to find a balance between interesting visual content and your actual business objectives. There will always be more opportunities to link to more content, but using visual content is only the first step. If you can draw a person in through a video or infographic, then you’ve already started paving a clear way to your brand.
Make a Difference Many companies are making leaps and bounds through visual content marketing. They’re creating videos that have meaningful stories behind them. They’re using images to leave memories and make impressions. You can do the same. Images and other visual content are the perfect way to do so. In order to be effective, a good strategy should be in place. You may want to start thinking about what you can do to generate more results from images because visual marketing isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.