Your product pages are crucial for your business to entice your target audience to learn more about your offerings and convert them into customers. To lure your shoppers into these pages, you need a solid product page SEO strategy to make them discoverable.
Here are six SEO tips for product pages that will help your online store obtain more shoppers, while driving acquisition costs down:
- Make sure you have the basic product page SEO strategies covered
- Craft unique product descriptions
- Add structured data for your product pages
- Include testimonials and customer reviews on your product pages
- Test your product pages
- Regularly audit and update your product pages
Let’s dive into each one:
1. Make sure you have the basic product page SEO strategies covered
When optimizing your product pages, remember that, like any other page on your site, they must adhere to search engines’ SEO guidelines, like Google’s Search Essentials. Of course, what makes these pages special is that conversions take place on them!
That said, it’s essential to follow these SEO tips for product pages:
Write unique product page title tags and meta description
A title tag is an HTML element that informs readers and search engines what your product page is about. It appears in the search engine results pages (SERPs) along with an excerpt from your page or, possibly, the meta description tag. A meta description tag is an HTML attribute that briefly describes the page.
Some SEO best practices for product pages’ title and description tags are:
- Include the product’s brand and name
- Add the model number
- Include important information in the description, like product dimensions or weight
- Write unique meta descriptions for each product page
In the SERPs, this product page example has the brand, name, and weight in the title tag:
Make your product page URLs easy to remember
If possible, include the product’s brand, name, and SKU in the URL for an optimized product page URL that your customers can understand. It also makes the URL easy to remember!
Use high-quality images on product pages — and optimize them
High-quality, crisp images entice your site visitors to keep reading through your product page. Provide a pleasant user experience by employing SEO best practices for images, including:
- Write relevant alt tags for your images
- Rename your image’s filename into a short descriptive one before uploading it
- Compress your images
Mind your product page’s speed
Fun fact: The average page load speed time among sites ranking on the first page of Google’s SERPs is 1.65 seconds.
Take a page out of these ranking sites’ book by keeping your product page’s speed below two seconds. A faster page load speed will provide a better user experience on mobile devices and improve your Core Web Vital scores and rankings in SERPs.
Use tools like Google’s PageSpeed Insights to analyze your product page’s speed.
Optimize your product pages for mobile
One of the SEO best practices for product pages is to optimize them for mobile like the rest of the site pages. Google uses mobile-first indexing, which means it ranks websites based on their mobile versions.
A mobile-friendly product page lets your customers view your offerings’ photos, learn more about your product, and possibly convert!
2. Craft unique product descriptions
If you have a lot of products, don’t hate me for recommending this!
These are the bane of your existence, but they are a dealbreaker if you want them to rank well.
There are lots of ways to programmatically create unique content for this, whether that’s with your database of product details or just a big Excel sheet with some fancy formulas. But you know deep down that the user isn’t going to be impressed by these.
Prioritization may be key to getting these successfully built out. Start off with a scalable approach that quickly generates your descriptions, like a spreadsheet. Then, as things start to jump up in the search results, you can handpick which ones you see the value in putting time and effort on.
Add supplemental content to your product descriptions
For your very best products, you want to rank better, try adding extra content to the page. It doesn’t have to directly describe the product, but it should be related. Try things like this:
- Add a paragraph or two about the product’s brand.
- Include information about the warranty or return policy.
- Recommend related products that often are bought together. Bonus points if you can elaborate on why they go together!
- Add technical details, user manuals, or dimensions of the product. These are very useful depending on the product — especially if you sell larger or more expensive items!
- Answer FAQs about the product — this will save your support team a lot of time as well.
All these suggestions could make for a very well ranking product page, not to mention the added benefits it could have on conversion rates.
Avoid duplicating content
If you are a reseller or dropshipper, you’ll need to be careful of this one. Search engines may consider product descriptions lifted from the manufacturer’s website as duplicate content, which doesn’t provide value to searchers, thus hurting your pages’ chances of ranking.
Write unique product descriptions instead of copying the manufacturer’s product descriptions.
Doing so adds value to your site visitors and helps your product pages rank in search engines. I recommend testing your products every once in awhile on Copyscape to make sure you aren’t creating non-ranking duplicate content.
3. Add structured data for your product pages
Using structured data is a critical product page SEO strategy that can boost your site’s ranking in rich results and engage your target audience. Some examples of structured data for product pages are the following:
- Review ratings
- Shipping information
Structured data for product pages makes your customers’ shopping experience better as they can see the price up front and see highly recommended products.
Google’s own guide on How to Add Product Structured Data is a great place to start if you are unsure how to add this to your ecommerce pages.
4. Include testimonials and customer reviews on your product pages
In addition, customer testimonials and reviews are also unique product page content that give you ranking points from search engines. Make sure you mark up your reviews with the review schema so that search engines can index them and show in rich results.
5. Test your product pages
How do you know if your product pages are helping your prospects find the solution to their pain points? Analyze your website and product pages with tools like our SEO Checker to uncover SEO issues.
Google Search Console and Google Analytics are also handy tools that can provide you with information about your product pages and enable you to improve them. Heatmap tools like Hotjar can also help you discover the optimal location of your call-to-action buttons.
Aside from using tools, testing your product pages with actual human users gives you insights into how you can improve them. Remember that search engines like Google rank sites that are helpful to humans. Ensure you provide a pleasant experience to human users!
6. Regularly audit and update your product pages
Another ecommerce product page SEO best practice is regular auditing of product pages. Doing so enables you to spot technical issues like:
Think of your regular audits as periodic maintenance of your product pages so they’re always in top shape to rank in SERPs. Another related tip is to update your product pages proactively.
Did your product page win an award? Add social proof on your product page by mentioning it in your copy or adding a logo of the award-giving body.
If one of your customers gave you a glowing testimonial and agreed that you publish it prominently, update your product page with a quote from your satisfied customer.
Implement SEO best practices for product pages today!
Product pages are your money pages. With the best SEO tips for product pages, you can optimize them to rank in search engines and reach your target audience.
Provide a pleasant shopping experience for your users, and you’ll reap the benefits of your product page SEO strategy!
Many platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce have their own methods of doing the above and can be quite simple for anyone to do. However, if this is technical hurdle for you and your team, don’t hesitate to reach out for SEO help! Contact us today to get in touch!
- 1. Make Sure You Have the Basic Product Page SEO Strategies Covered
- 2. Craft Unique Product Descriptions
- 3. Add Structured Data for Your Product Pages
- 4. Include Testimonials and Customer Reviews on Your Product Pages
- 5. Test Your Product Pages
- 6. Regularly Audit and Update Your Product Pages
- Implement SEO Best Practices for Product Pages Today!
- 10 SEO Best Practices for Images to Boost Your Rankings
- 10 SEO Tips for Blogs to Boost Your Rankings (+ Examples)
- 5+ SEO Tips for Landing Pages to Boost Your Rank and Revenue
- 7 SEO Tips for Videos to Help You Get More Views and Rank in SERPs
- 7 Types of Content to Inspire Your Marketing Strategy
- 8 SEO Best Practices for PDFs to Rank in SERPs
- 9 SEO Best Practices for Category Pages to Rank in SERPs
- Does AI Content Work for SEO? What to Know About AI Content
- Does Grammar Matter in Content Marketing?
- 10 SEO Best Practices for Images to Boost Your Rankings