Conducting keyword research can be a bit of a challenge if you aren’t using the right tools. When you conduct a search for “keyword research tools,” you’ll come across so many choices it can be hard to choose just one. So what are some strong keyword research tools available today? I’ve come across a few that seem to be effective.
Aaah, Google AdWords. This is probably one of the more popular tools out there, and all of you SEO experts are familiar with how it works, or at least should be. So what other tools are useful for keyword research?
Let’s take a look at a few.
Google’s SK tool works really well for generating niche keyword ideas. When you get to the SK tool page, click on the link, “Or see top keywords across all categories.”
Now it will display a list of categories for this search. From there, you can search through a various categories such as health, food, computers, travel & tourism, and more.
Let’s click on Sports & Fitness. Now, if I click on the Boating & Water Recreation, it will pull up a list of ideas and corresponding monthly search volume.
From here, you can find some great ideas for niche marketing. This tool can be useful for finding long-tail keyword ideas as well. To do this, simply do a search for a keyword (such as ski boats) and it will generate a list of long-tail keyword suggestions.
Additional Free tools for keyword research include:
- Wordtracker – Can help you compile associated keywords. A more robust, paid version is also available.
- Keyword Discovery – Free version of the keyword research tool from Trellian.
- Spacky.com- Generates a monthly search volume for a given keyword.
- Seo Book Keyword Research- As stated on their site, “The Coolest Keyword Research Tool Today!”
- Keyword Spy- A site that allows you to spy on your competition and find their keywords.
Paid Subscription Tools
If you’re looking for added features, some good tools to check out:
- Spyfu.com- This is a great way to spy on the competition. They provide a Keyword Smart Search generates keyword ideas based on what the competition is doing. You can use some of their basic tools by creating an account, but in order to get the most out of it, you have to subscribe for a membership.
- KeyCompete.com- KeyCompete is a keyword research tool that recognizes the keywords your competitors use in their pay-per-click campaigns and also reveals the competition that is bidding on your keywords.
- Wordze.com- Facilitates finding niche markets and locates market growth.
- Adgooroo.com- Helps you to get more traffic by finding traffic opportunities, PPC monitoring, and more.
- Nichebot.com- According to their ad, it’s “keyword research on steroids.”
The best tool that I am utilizing is Market Samurai. This tool is amazing! Really. I’ve been using it for the past month or so, and it makes keyword research so simple. In addition to keyword research, it provides tools like a rank tracker, finding content, and analyzing the competition. If you don’t want to pay for it right away you can download a free trial version for 12 days.
Have you found other tools useful when conducting keyword research? If so, I would love to hear about them.